[Samba] password aging in Samba 3

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Jun 21 15:13:45 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 09:03, Kurt Bechstein wrote:
> Ok, I'm rigging myself up a Samba 3 PDC for a variety of Windows
> clients.  Anything from 98 on up to XP and everything in between.  For
> the most part it hasn't been a big deal.  I've got a couple of questions
> I want to run by the list and see if anyone has figured this one out.
>
> My first question is about the [profiles] share.  Is this share really
> needed?  The documentation never really comes out and says it.  I'm not
> setting up roaming profiles so I'm assuming I won't need it.

If you are not using roaming profiles you do NOT need a profiles share. There!
I've said it!

> The next question is about password aging.  I have a client that would
> like to have the user have to reset their password after 60 days.  I've
> seen some inklings online of being able to do with pdbedit, but the
> documentation seems non-existent at best on how to do this.  Maybe this
> is also doable with a policy setup.  I haven't actually tried that one
> yet so if that works just let me know and I'll dig into that.  Thanks in
> advance.

You can use either the NT4 Domain User Manager to manage all aspects of your
user and group accounts, or you can use pdbedit from the command line.

I am in the process of competing the second edition of the Samba-3 HOWTO.
Apologies that it has not be done faster. I've been working full-time on the
documentataion since January 2005.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra