[Samba] Problem with NTLM

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 21 04:38:12 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 11:38 -0300, Rafael.Almeida at stj.gov.br wrote:
> Hi all;
> We have Squid 2.5.STABLE7running with 30 ntlm_auth helpers Version
> 3.0.10-1.fc3. The problem is that on the squid´s cachemgr.cgi->NTLM User
> Authenticator Stats  is possible to verify that the ntlm_auth processes
> are slowly having the flag R (Reserved or Deferred) set and never being
> used again (the number of requests stops). This problem goes until there
> is no more ntlm_auth process available and the squid restarts itself,
> restarting all ntlm_auth too. After the restart, everything is goes back
> to normal and the problem repeats. We detected that the R flag appears
> more agressively if the domain controller is under more load (like running
> a backup script).

Perhaps this question is best directed at the squid list?  While I wrote
ntlm_auth, I'm not sure I can help with how squid is marking the state
of the helpers.

It might be that we need to have a better way to have ntlm_auth tell
Squid that there is a problem now, but it might go away (previous helper
designs had to be restarted for that to happen, but ntlm_auth can
recover on it's own).

Andrew Bartlett