[Samba] Slow logon with samba

Ross McInnes sysrm at stvincent.ac.uk
Mon Jun 20 11:23:04 GMT 2005

Hi all.

Everything has been running great, untill 2 weeks ago when I applied redhat
errata including a new kernel. (done it loads of times before)

Rebooted and all seemed ok (it was half term for me, so maybe 20 users in at
the very most)

It wasn't until last week people started to complain about how long it was
taking to log in. unfortunatly everytime I tried it went in straight away.

The only way I can replicate this is thus;

1st time logon in the morning, any username, takes between 2-3 mins to
login.

If I log in again straight away it goes in fine.

Also im getting curious errors and delays opening up files. Again not all
the time, but every now and then.

Ive captured level 3 logs of when a user has logged on, what seems to happen
is all the initial connections happen, then nothing, for "a while" then all
of a sudden it lets them in, very very odd.

Any help gratefully received.

Ross