[Samba] the infamous "Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name" complaint

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Mon Jun 20 09:43:56 GMT 2005

Here it is:

[2005/06/20 05:27:08, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(353)
   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name KENNEDY<1b> for the
workgroup KENNEDY.
   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

I scanned through previous postings. This is one of those messages
that Samba throws up apparently for no good reason.

It's not completely clear whether the "domain" in domain master
browser refers to a true Windows domain. I assume it does, but if it
does, why does it try to look for one? It shouldn't find any because
there are no domains relevant to the subnets specified.

local master = Yes
preferred master = Yes
domain master = No
os level = 65