[Samba] Slow Ms Access in one share

Alex Satrapa alex.satrapa at apf.edu.au
Mon Jun 20 03:02:44 GMT 2005

On 20 Jun 2005, at 12:20, Jack Malone wrote:

> I have wondering why you say it would be faster with oplocks on. at
> our office we have have to let more than one person be able to read
> the access files, not write but read them ...

I must live in a different universe... I can't get decent performance
from Microsoft Word unless oplocks are on (and the client can thus
cache the whole file).

> an to be able to do that i had to turn oplocks off so more then one
> person can have it open at one time. be interesting to know how to
> do that without oplocks on.

What about level 2 oplocks? The oplock system allows for multiple
readers when someone is writing.

Note that in the original example, the Access Database is expected to
be written to ("read only = No"). If the share was set read-only (and
I don't doubt that you'd have to set the file to read-only too, to
make sure MS Windows got the hint), I expect you wouldn't need oplocks.

But I've been wrong before... the only way to tell is to try it out
and see.

Alex