[Samba] Slow eth0 Config

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 01:08:33 GMT 2005

Folks,

This is a strange problem, and I'm not sure this is the right place for
it, so feel free point me to a better location.  I'm running FC3 and
Samba 3.0.14a.

The problem is this: when I boot up my Linux box, and it gets to the
point of turning on my NIC (eth0), where the PC used to turn it right on
and continue, now there's an inordinately long delay in getting eth0 to
come up--so long that the PC drops back to its earlier, coarse-text
bootup screen where it's gutsing up the local file systems for several
10s of seconds.  When the PC returns to its later screen that shows the
various daemons and other functionalities being turned on, eth0 is up
and running, and 5-6 other functionalities have already been turned on,
as well, and the bootup completes in otherwise normal fashion.  I'm
working through JHT's online BYEXAMPLE  book's Chapt 3 exercise, and
I've reached the point where I've written the DNS config files and
turned on named.  The problem began at this point in time.  Also,
ethereal indicates that the Linux PC is sending out exactly 0 broadcast
packets asking for dynamic address confirmation/reassignment, even
though the PC has been set to get its address automatically via DHCP.
Further, the machine's /etc/hosts file has the following line in it
(which it has always had, so this ought not be a problem, unless there's
something fundamentally different between Chapt 3 and the earlier
chapters): "192.168.1.103 lserver1".  I'm running this with Chapt 2's
smb.conf file as my version of Chapt 3's smb.conf file has its own
problems which I haven't had a chance to trouble shoot--it causes the
PC's bootup to hang--completely, this time--on trying to bring up snmb.
I don't think this earlier .conf file is related, though, or is it?  At
the same time, I've switched from a Linksys 4-port router/firewall for
my LAN to a Linksys 8-port router/firewall.  I don't think this is
relevant, but I'm too ignorant at this point blithely to discount it.

I've turned off named, so the DNS stuff ought no longer be running, but
this has had no effect.  I've also turned off the sshd with no effect.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

Thanks

Eric Hines

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.