[Samba] PDC-BDC Wins Resolution

Matt Schwartz mschwartz at dcscorp.net
Sun Jun 19 15:11:27 GMT 2005

I am hoping someone can help here.  I noticed a really odd issue.  WINS
resolution doesn't seem to work between my PDC and BDC, both Samba
3.0.14a boxes running on Debian.  I have nsswitch.conf configured
properly, I think.  Here are the nsswitch.conf settings.

PDC:
hosts: files dns wins

BDC:
hosts: files dns wins

On the BDC, I have the parameter wins server = 192.168.0.2, the address
of the PDC.  From the BDC, I try to ping the PDC and get a hostname not
found error.  The same for the opposite.  What in the devil could be
going on?