[Samba] Problem with NTLM

Rafael.Almeida at stj.gov.br Rafael.Almeida at stj.gov.br
Fri Jun 17 14:38:09 GMT 2005

Hi all;
We have Squid 2.5.STABLE7running with 30 ntlm_auth helpers Version
3.0.10-1.fc3. The problem is that on the squid´s cachemgr.cgi->NTLM User
Authenticator Stats  is possible to verify that the ntlm_auth processes
are slowly having the flag R (Reserved or Deferred) set and never being
used again (the number of requests stops). This problem goes until there
is no more ntlm_auth process available and the squid restarts itself,
restarting all ntlm_auth too. After the restart, everything is goes back
to normal and the problem repeats. We detected that the R flag appears
more agressively if the domain controller is under more load (like running
a backup script).
Another strange behavior is that the TIME on the cachemgr.cgi->NTLM User
Authenticator Stats for some ntlm_auth keeps growing with no flag set at
all.
Well, the questions are:
1- What does each of the flags mean?  They are:
A = ALIVE
B = BUSY
C = CLOSING
R = RESERVED or DEFERRED
S = SHUTDOWN
P = PLACEHOLDER

2- Any ideas why the R flag is spreading throught all the ntlm_auth
processes?
3- Why the time for some of the ntlm_auth processes keeps growing with no
authentication to do (I think...), like processes 11 and 12 below ?

#
FD
PID
# Requests