[Samba] virtual server configuration issues

Tim Harvey tim_harvey at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 14:00:06 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I've used samba for many years now on various platforms and its worked very
well.  I'm now trying to use 'virtual servers' to combine several smb servers
on one machine and have been following the clear and simple instructions here:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch04_07.html (I've also
cross-referenced these instructions with various posts to this list and it
seems like I'm configuring things correctly with the combination of the
'netbios aliases' and 'include' statements).

The problem I've been having is that the virtual servers seem to get their
names/shares mixed up.  Here are my configuration details:

Server OS: Linux Fedora Core 3
Samba: samba-3.0.10-1.fc3
Network Environment: Workgroup: 'MSHOME'
Other Systems on network: Linux (samba), WinXP

/etc/samba/smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
server string = Samba %v on %h as %L
netbios name = server
netbios aliases = video music
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
security = share
disable spoolss = yes
include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%L

/etc/samba/smb.conf.server:
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[data]
   comment = RAID Array
   path = /data
   force user = nobody
   force group = nobody
   read only = No
   guest ok = Yes

/etc/samba/smb.conf.music:
[Music]
comment = Video Files
browseable = yes
path = /data/Video
force user = nobody
force group = nobody
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

/etc/samba/smb.conf.video:
[Video]
comment = Video Files
browseable = yes
path = /data/Video
force user = nobody
force group = nobody
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

With this configuration and the smb/nmb services running I do the following
commands on my linux server (the one running samba):

[root at server samba]# smbclient -L music
Password:
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        data            Disk      RAID Array
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as
server)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as
server)
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        MUSIC                Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server
        SERVER               Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server
        VIDEO                Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        MSHOME

[root at server samba]# smbclient -L video
Password:
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        data            Disk      RAID Array
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as
server)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as
server)
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        MUSIC                Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server
        SERVER               Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server
        VIDEO                Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        MSHOME

[root at server samba]# smbclient -L server
Password:
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        data            Disk      RAID Array
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as
server)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as
server)
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        MUSIC                Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server
        SERVER               Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server
        VIDEO                Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        MSHOME

As you can see no matter what server I specify with 'smbclient -L' samba
appears to act as if the request was for the netbios name 'server' (notice I
configured 'server string = Samba %v on %h as %L' to test this out and I see
'server as server' for each test.

On the winxp system I get random results:

C:\>net view video
Shared resources at video

Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as video

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

Video       Disk           Video files
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view video
Shared resources at video

Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 on server as server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

data        Disk           RAID Array
The command completed successfully.

The first example gave me what I expected, but the 2nd example issued a few
minutes later (and after I had tested via network-neighborhood if that matters)
acts as if the server I requested was 'server' vs 'video'.

What on earth do I have configured wrong here?  Is this some problem with
WINS/nmb and if so how do I correct it?

Thanks for any assistance,

Tim