[Samba] Samba, OS X Tiger 10.4 plain text password, username null-padded?

Geoff Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Thu Jun 16 02:27:53 GMT 2005

Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
> On 6/15/05, Geoff Scott <geoffs at guestshire.com> wrote:
>> This list deals with the samba server side.  The smbmount stuff for
>> linux is kernel code and so is dealt with on another list.  But
>> whatever Apple have done to the code you need to ask Apple.  Don't
>> expect any response though.
>
> Er... ok. No linux in this picture though,

Yep I know.  My point is that this list only deals with the Samba server.

> Samba server on Solaris
> and OS X Tiger client.
> I'm wondering if this is a bug in OS X, or in Samba, and/or if anyone
> else has seen this and gotten Samba to work with OS X and plaintext
> passwords

IIRC you said you could connect with smbclient but not with finder?  Then
this is a finder problem.

> Maybe we're the last ones still using plaintext passwords....
>
> thanks Betsy

And the other part of it was that you would get more help pertinent to your
problem from Apple.  There have been quite a few problems that people have
had and asked about on this list to do with upgrading to Tiger.  Apple makes
quite a few changes to code that the upstream developers in many FOSS
projects seem to find unuseable for the main project, and that they are not
party to.  Because your problem seems to stem from Tiger I am being helpful
in (unhelpfully) suggesting that you ask Apple.

Regards Geoff Scott