[Samba] Samba, OS X Tiger 10.4 plain text password, username null-padded?

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 00:13:36 GMT 2005

Our samba server is running Solaris 9 and Samba 3.0.2.a . For reasons
*outside the scope of this question* we are using plaintext passwords
and authenticating via our NFS server. (I know this isn't a great
idea, but that's not the question)

With Panther, plaintext passwords worked fine. Snooping, I see the
plain text password and username go through.

With Tiger, we first had to apply this small fix to the client to
enable plain text passwords:

Once this was done, snooping an smbclient connection, I see the plain
text password and the username but they are null-padded.
Authentication works. But when Tiger attempts to mount an smb share
via the GUI, I see the password NOT null-padded and the username
PADDED, and this fails.

Can anyone comment on this? I realize that the sane thing to do is
switch to encrypted passwords, but if we don't want to do that right
now for whatever reason, are there any other suggestions? Has anyone
else seen this behavior? Am I correct in calling this a Tiger bug?

thanks Betsy