[Samba] NetBIOS needed?

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Wed Jun 15 18:05:27 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 11:50, Gary Arnold wrote:
> Sorry if this sounds like I'm confused. I am.  I am new to Samba and
> Solaris.
>

> I've got Samba 3.0.10 running on Solaris 9.  The only windows box I can see
> or access the shares from is my Windows 2003 ADC which happens to be the
> only box running NetBIOS in the domain.  I have started up a WINS server
> and added the servers IP to the samba.conf file.  The samba server has
> registered in WINS but I still can not get to the Samba server via my XP
> client.  If I turn NetBIOS on for the client it works.  Is there a way to
> make this work without turning on NetBIOS?

Samba uses NetBIOS by default. If your Samba server is an ADS member you need
to register it in your DNS if you want to disable NetBIOS. To disable netbios
the parameter in the smb.conf file [global] stanza is called:

	disable netbios = Yes

The DNS entries you need to create are documented in chapter 9 of the Offical
Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra