[Samba] Dreaded "Can't become connected User!" error

Gary MacKay gary at edisoninfo.com
Wed Jun 15 12:58:50 GMT 2005

I have a dozen or more Samba 3.0x servers running, most using the tdbsam backend, but some still on the smbpasswd backend. All of the servers are RedHat, some v9, some ES3 and two are ES4.

All "seem" to be running fine, but every one of them has their log file filled with these errors.

[2005/06/10 09:09:55, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(570)
 Can't become connected user!

I've googled for hours and have found many many people with the same problem, and no answers. Has anyone figured this out yet? The only google responses I've found deal with invalid groups or users. I've checked all those, ran the script I found that compares groups with /etc/group and so forth. All "seem" to be fine, except for these errors.

I believe this relates to alot of slowness I'm seeing also. When you enter a directory in Windows Exploder, it takes a long time and I see alot of the above errors fly by.

Let me know what info you need and I'll gladly collect it to help resolve this.

- Gary