[Samba] Permission on sharing file/folder

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Tue Jun 14 19:07:03 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:

> Please help me to understand how that would work. If I can modify a file I can
> delete its contents - after all, that is what modification permits. If I can
> modify the contents of a file by deleting it, how does that differ from not
> being able to delete the file? Perhaps I am really dense here.
>
> Under UNIX write capability means deletion capability. How does one implement
> modification without deletion in a UNIX environment?

Modifying a file and deleting it are two entirely different things.  If
you create or delete a file, you're modifying the file that describes
the directory contents, not the contents of the directory.  The most you
can do, if you can't delete the file, is reduce it to zero bytes.
However, you won't be able to delete the file.