[Samba] Permission on sharing file/folder

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Jun 14 19:03:48 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:48, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 Jun 2005 19:07, Anuwa Mohamad Jamili wrote:
> > Dear All Friends,
> >

> > Im already explore with UNIX permission, currently what I can see is only
> > have read,write and execute. We also can combine this permission with
> > grouping.
> >
> > But what I seek here, how can I set permission that user can't delete
> > file but can modify the file ?
>
> There are some extended attributes, but I can't remember how to find them
> or use them from the CLI.  Perhaps googling on the phrase will help.  One
> of them allow you to say that only the owner can delete a file.  KDE allows
> it to be set within konqueror.

Please help me to understand how that would work. If I can modify a file I can
delete its contents - after all, that is what modification permits. If I can
modify the contents of a file by deleting it, how does that differ from not
being able to delete the file? Perhaps I am really dense here.

Under UNIX write capability means deletion capability. How does one implement
modification without deletion in a UNIX environment?

- John T.