[Samba] Samba w/ ADS support

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Jun 14 14:53:23 GMT 2005

> Hello,
>     I am currently trying to install Samba w/ ADS support on a series of
> Solaris 9 & 10 machines.  I have tried compiling samba3, but some reason
> it will not compile with ADS support.  I have compiled MIT krb5 and
> openldap previous to compiling Samba.  I compiled openldap and installed
> it into /usr/local/openldap.  Kerberos was compiled and installed into
> /usr/local/kerberos5.  When compiling samba3 I used the follow
> configure:
>         ./configure --with-pam --with-winbind --with-ads
> --with-krb5=/usr/local/kerberos5 --with-ldap=/usr/local/openldap.  It
> doesn't seem to work.  The message I get back when compiling samba is:
>         checking for ldap_initialize... no
>         configure: WARNING: libldap is needed for LDAP support
>         checking for Active Directory and krb5 support... yes
>         configure: error: Active Directory Support requires LDAP support
>
> Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

I'd guess it has a lot to do with your flags.  If you look at John T.'s
notes on the subject (http://samba.org/~jht/Notes/Samba-Install-Solaris9.txt
), he does:

set cflags = -I /usr/local/include -l/usr/local/lib

But that's also with everything built with a prefix if /usr/local.
Personally I do something more like you but then set the flags appropriately
for each piece of extra software.  Something like this should work for you:

Set clflags = - I /usr/local/openldap/include -l/usr/local/openldap/lib - I
/usr/local/kerberos5/include -l/usr/local/kerberos5/lib

I generally set a few more flag versions and it works, but then again when I
was learning how to make Solaris behave I was working on all of 8, 9 and 10,
which all had their own tweaks.  Now my solaris boxes are gone so this is
just from memory.