[Samba] Domain logon problem with w2k client on a Samba-3 PDC

Jean-Francois Leblond jfleblond at videotron.ca
Tue Jun 14 02:09:24 GMT 2005

I'm having problems configuring Samba in order to have w2000Pro being able
to log into the PDC that I have configured on a Centos4 Linux using samba
3.0.10-1.4E.

On a Windows98 client. It logs in OK and executes the login script also.

Here's the smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = PALMARINC
        server string = Samba Server
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 300
        logon script = %U.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 34
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = The domain logon service
        path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
        browseable = No

[public]
        path = /public
        valid users = +users
        read list = +users
        write list = +users
        read only = No

I have added the trust account for the w2k client: I created the unix
account and locked the passwd as documented in the samba.org doc. I used the
smbpasswd -a -m client_pc_name.

I also checked the security parameters in the security options of the local
policies and I put "Digitally sign client" and "secure channel" to disabled

I'm still getting the error "the following error occured attempting to join
the domain "PALMARINC" "logon failure: unknown username or bad password"

On the other hand, I'm able to connect to a share with the same login and
password.

Thanks in advance.

JF Leblond