[Samba] is the domain admin password stored on the local machine?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Sat Jun 11 20:52:44 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:

> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
> | I just wanted to know if the domain admin password is
> | stored on the local machine, when that machine joins
> | the domain?   Or is it just used to authenticate, and it is
> | not stored anywhere on the  workstation?
>
> only the machine trust account password is stored on the local
> machine.  The admin password is justed used in the initial
> connection when joining the domain.

But waht happens when a domain user logs into a Windows machine (or a
domain admin, which is also a user)?

 From this time on, the password is "cached" somewhere on the
workstation, right?

Because as I recall, I was able to log into the machine as a domain user
when the domain controller was disconnected - only when the password
matched. So it *has* to be stored somewhere.

I'm not interested where it is stored, I would only like to know if the
domain admin password would be also "cached", or rather it won't for
security reasons?

--
Tomek