[Samba] Re: Samba problems - looks like a bug in client

Jim C. jcllings at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 19:45:55 GMT 2005

> [global]
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> 	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> 	load printers = yes
> 	name resolve order = hosts lmhosts bcast

Thought of adding wins to name resolve order?  In mine, I have this:

[root at enigma ~]# grep wins /etc/samba/smb.conf
name resolve order = wins hosts bcast
wins support = Yes

Docs say it should be on anyway but for some reason it defaults to "no".
  lmhosts is the client side ( 'doze ) hosts file.  The Windows
equivalent of /etc/hosts. Consequently adding it to my resolve order
shouldn't cause trouble.

> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

Comment this out for a test?

> 	username level = 8
> 	deadtime = 30
> 	map to guest = bad user
> 	encrypt passwords = yes
> 	hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.0.0.1
> 	printer admin = @adm
> 	password level = 8
> 	dns proxy = no
> 	netbios name = anne-linux

Tried changing this for a test?  There might be some kind of confusion
between the user name and the netbios name. Probably not but it's just a
thought.

> 	printing = cups
> 	printcap name = cups
> 	server string = Samba Server %v
> 	local master = yes
> 	workgroup = lydgate.net

Hmmm... I don't have a workgroup on my machine.  I wonder how it relates
to netbios name?  The man pages are not very specific about it.

> 	printcap name = cups
> 	security = user
> 	preferred master = yes
> 	max log size = 50
> 	log level = 3
> 	dos charset = 850
>         unix charset = ISO8859-15

Here is what I've got for this:
[root at enigma ~]# grep charset /etc/samba/smb.conf
unix charset = LOCALE
[root at enigma ~]#

I don't think you need both public = no and valid users which I've
noticed in some of your shares.

> [homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = yes
>    writable = yes
>    create mode = 0770
.
.
.
> [SPREADSHEETS]
>    path = /home/anne/Documents/Spreadsheets
>    comment = /home/anne/Documents/Spreadsheets
>    public = no
>    valid users = anne,david,gillian

Check your 'doze clients network connections for a "Client for Microsoft
Networks". Some other client side stuff to check:

Network Connection | Click Properties | Select Internet Protocol (
TCP/IP ) | Click Properties | Click Advanced | Select Wins tab

"Wins servers in order of use" should list your Samba box's IP address.
   Of course this probably only matters if your Samba box has "wins
support = Yes".

Jim C.