[Samba] Functioning Samba Install has one desktop causing a complaint ...

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 21:43:45 GMT 2005

On Thursday 09 Jun 2005 21:36, Jerry Moxley wrote:
> ... On a LAN consisting of a box with Linux 2.4.21-138-smp using Samba
> version 2.2.5-UL, all the boxes can log in and see the shares (windoz xp,
> 2000, me - all smbpasswords set to none), except one that is windoz98.
> Attempts to connect get "IPC$" login messages. The box that gets the
> message has a directory/password/smbpassword (set to none) on the Linux
> machine.
>
> Is this due to the windoz version (98)?

Just a thought - if it is win98 v.1 I think it had passwords in plain, not
encrypted.  Win98SE uses encrypted by default IIRC.  Certainly we have had
two Win98SE boxes running correctly on this lan.  The users had accounts on
the server box with login and password identical to the smbpasswd entry.
Win98 doesn't support the option to send a different one.  HTH

Anne
Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?  Mandrake at all levels