[Samba] Domain member samba server and non-ASCII account (user) names

alexb at arctel.ru alexb at arctel.ru
Thu Jun 9 07:06:44 GMT 2005

Hello!

I have network with w2k domain controller, w2k workstations and one linux
box (Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)) + samba-3.0.10 (winbindd) which
joined to the network as domain member server.

Samba config:

[global]
workgroup = MY-COMPANY
netbios name = GATEWAY
security = DOMAIN
password server = *

idmap uid = 1000-10000
idmap gid = 1000-10000
winbind enum users = Yes
winbind enum groups = Yes

syslog = No
log file = /var/log/samba/log.smb
loglevel = 3 passdb:5 auth:5 winbind:5

[inet]
comment = Pseudo share for Internet accesss authentication
path = /exports/inet
public = Yes
read only = Yes
browseable = Yes
root preexec = /etc/samba/scripts/inet_pre-2.pl "%D" "%U" "%m" "%R" "%d" "%I"
root preexec close = yes
root postexec = /etc/samba/scripts/inet_post-2.pl "%D" "%U" "%m" "%R" "%d" "%I"

Users whose account (user) names composed of ASCII symbols can connect to 'inet'
share with no problems, but users whose names composed of non-ASCII symbols (cyrillic in
my case) can't (but they can connect to non-samba shares on the net).
Whether it is non-standard to use non-ASCII symbols in usernames?
Or do I misunderstand (miss) something?

Thanks for any help
--
Alexander Belov