[Samba] Unable to join Windows2003 machine to Samba domain

Don W Watson dwwatson at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 8 19:52:19 GMT 2005

I have a Samba PDC running on RHEL3U4 with the following smb.conf:

 # Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2005/06/01 15:50:07

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = TESTDOMAIN
        server string = Samba Server
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost, smbpasswd
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
        delete user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
        add group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
        add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m
"%u" "%g"
        delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod
-x "%u"
 "%g"
        set primary group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g
"%g" "%u"
        add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd "%u"
        domain logons = Yes       wins proxy = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=Administrator,dc=example,dc=com
        ldap group suffix = ou=groups
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=idmap
        ldap machine suffix = ou=computers
        ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
        ldap user suffix = ou=users
        admin users = Administrator
        cups options = raw
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth1

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No

I want to join my Windows2003 machine to TESTDOMAIN.  On the Windows
machine, following the instructions in Appendix A of the Samba Guide:

1. On the System Properties "Computer Name" tab, I select Change.
2. I enter TESTDOMAIN in the field below the Domain radio button and hit
OK.
3. I enter "root" and its password in the Computer Name Changes dialogue
and hit OK.

 The result is I get the message "Logon failure: unknown user name or
bad password."

I have set the root password with smbpasswd on the PDC machine.  I have
many users in the ldap backend but root is in passwd.  Have I forgotten
something?

Thanks in advance for any help.

	Don