[Samba] NetworkedLaserPrinter

Tamas Hegedus hegedus at med.unc.edu
Wed Jun 8 16:28:27 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am not a linux expert (but biologist). I have a RedHat EL 3 with samba
3.0.14a installed from the source.

I have a networked HP LaserJet configured and working with cups.
Samba is configured as a PDC.
I would like to configure a samba print spool based on the
Samba/How-to/small office. I faced with different problems at different
levels:

A, smbclient does not show the printer in the list (smbclinet -L
//pdc_name -U username);
B, I think this is not connected to the previouse problem: if I want to
install the printer on an XP (already installed as 'local' printer,
then); properties; ports; configure ports; network => I receive a
message: no network printing protocol is installed; try to install
tcp/ip or... I could not trace this error... (I have the tcp/ip protocol
installed; I do not think that I need a special tcp/ip
protocol to be installed for printing)

[global]
#========== PRINTING
load printers = yes