[Samba] help: Can not connect to SAMBA server from Win2K3 Server, in TS

Steven Smith s58smith at email.com
Wed Jun 8 15:23:04 GMT 2005

Hello,
    I posted this three weeks ago in hopes that someone here might help me.
I still have not be able to solve this and really really would appreciate
if anyone has some suggestions on things to look at. I'm sure it has to be
a problem in Win2K3 Server settings, but don't know where to look or what
to change. Original posting below.

Steven Smith <s58smith at email.com> writes:
Subject: Win2K3 Server, in Terminal Session, Problem connecting to SAMBA server.

I have looked for several days and can not find the answer to my
problem, but I'm sure it has to be a simple issue. I'm trying to
map drives inside Windows Server 2003 Terminal Session from a local
Samba server but can't get connected.  I figure the problem is in
Windows Registry but can't find web page on what needs to be changed
to get this working.

I built a new Windows 2003 server. Logon to the new server through
Terminal Services (Remote Desktop Connection). Once connected I open
Windows Explorer and try to browse over to my SAMBA server. My
problem is that I get a Windows Error box saying I "\\FOO_SAMBA is
not accessible." Then goes on saying I might not have permission. The
last line says "The request is not supported."

Tried mapping a known share from the FOO_SAMBA server
(\\FOO_SAMBA\test) and I get a different windows error message
saying "The drive could not be mapped because no network was found."

The domain this server is in is an is older NT4 style domain.
(Not Active Directory.) The Windows 2003 Server is a member of the
ADOMAIN Domain.

The FOO_SAMBA server in running on Solaris 8 sparc server. I do NOT
have any domain machine names configured in /etc/passwd file. Only
users I want to allow to connect are in the /etc/passwd file and also
part of the 'adomain' group in /etc/group file.

I do not have any problem connecting to the FOO_SAMBA server from
Win2K or WinXP workstations. Can even connect to shares from other
Win2k Terminal Server, inside a Remote Desktop Session.

I have the following entries in smb.conf file.

[global]
   workgroup = ADOMAIN
   server string = Samba Server
;  guest account = pcguest
   log file = /opt/samba/var/log.%I
   log level = 2
   security = server
   password server = 149.154.1.41
   encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
   local master = no
   wins server = 149.154.1.32
   wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = no