[Samba] DNS Registration

Graeme Humphries graeme.humphries at vcom.com
Tue Jun 7 21:45:41 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 14:40 -0700, M Maki wrote:
> I have a few Samba 3.0.14a servers nicely running with ADS security and
> winbind on Debian Sarge. The one problem I seem to have is their DNS
> registration with our WIN2K3 name servers that I have no access to. I
> see that most WIN2K/XP/03 register automatically (DDNS) or manually with
> the command ipconfig /registerdns. I can probably ask for records to be
> manually entered but I thought I would ask this list if there is
> something I can do or am missing to get them registered like the
> WIN2K/XP/03 machines register themselves.

Last time I looked into this, it was done in the DCHP client on the
Windows machines, and there wasn't a Linux DHCP client that would
register to a MS DNS server. Some of this I think has to do with the way
that ADS controls permissions over DNS, and that the Linux DHCP clients
couldn't authenticate in the way MS wants you to.

Of course, things could have changed drastically since I last checked it
out, or I could be completely off-base. ;)

Graeme