[Samba] Timeout waiting for files from slow media

Graham White gwhite at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jun 7 12:41:01 GMT 2005

I have a file server that may have to get a file off tape before sending to
the client.  This can take anywhere around 60-90 seconds to complete.
About 50% of the time the client times out when waiting after about 60
seconds or so.
This happens on my Linux server with samba-3.0.14 and on a Linux or Windows
client.
On windows the error reported is something like "Cannot copy cifs.nearline:
The specified network name is no longer available".  There are no obvious
timeout settings I can change - is there something I can do to make the
client wait a little longer?

--
Graham White
<gwhite at uk.ibm.com>