[Samba] Problems after changing security = domain to security = ads

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 16:53:41 GMT 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 13:22, Hamish wrote:
> Hello all
> I have a samba domain member authenticating to a w2k3 server, after
> installing SP1, there were problems, and a solution I found was to change
> to security = ads. This seemed to work fine, but today no-one can get their
> home drives, and some people are denied access to shares where the
> permissions on the files are rwx for the user.
> I did not change anything other than the security line in smb.conf and
> rejoined the domain with `net ads join -U administrator` (this was
> successful)
>
> I find this in the samba log when users try to connect:
> [2005/06/06 13:16:17, 2] smbd/sesssetup.c:setup_new_vc_session(608)
>   setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all
> old resources.
> [2005/06/06 13:16:17, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(173)
>   Failed to verify incoming ticket!
>
> I can do `kinit Administrator at MY.DOMAIN.NET` and it returns no errors (but
> no success either - if I put in a wrong password, it gives an error though,
> so i guess this is ok)
>
> Anyone have any ideas? or can I change back to security = domain with some
> other fix?
>
> Thanks,
It just keeps getting wierder:

[2005/06/06 17:46:49, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(615)
  '/data1/fileroot/PersonalFiles/michael' does not exist or is not a
directory, when connecting to [michael]

ls -la /data1/fileroot/PersonalFiles/michael/
total 3941
drwxrwx---+  15 root     domain users      720 Jun  3 15:14 .
drwxrwx---+  60 root     root         1448 Apr 27 11:13 ..
(File listing snipped)

So why does samba think that this is not a directory or that it does not
exist? This is not the normal failure of this thread, but an interesting one!

PS:
SuSE 9.0
Version 3.0.14a-SUSE
2.6.5-10.0-default

If there is any other info that anyone wants please let me know.
Thanks,