[Samba] Roaming Profile Mix-Up Between Users

Marian Steinbach marian at kisd.de
Mon Jun 6 13:15:18 GMT 2005

Hi! First, thanks everybody for posting.

It is a little bit odd that there seems to be quite different opinions
on what is possible and what not.

Storing Win2000 and WinXP roaming profile within the same directory:
Possible or not? What trouble can be extepected?

There seems to be no definitive answer for that question.

In addition, my original problem still persists. Users still get the
profile of the preceeding user who logged in.

Robert, thanks for the example config you posted for the [profiles]
share. I have to add that we have no dedicated profile path, but we
store the profiles in /home/%u/.WindowsProfil . Can this be the cause of
the trouble?

The complete share config as we have it now:

[profiles]
         comment = Windows-Profil
         path = /home/%u/.WindowsProfil
         valid users = %U, "@Domain Admins"
         force user = %U
         read only = No
         create mask = 0700
         directory mask = 0700
         guest ok = Yes
         profile acls = Yes
         hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/
         browseable = No
         csc policy = disable
         locking = No
         oplocks = No
         level2 oplocks = No

Here is the directory listing with rights mask for my profile:

hal:/home/marian# ls -la /home/marian/.WindowsProfil/
total 840
drwx------  14 marian users   4096 Jun  6 13:14 .
drwx-----x  34 marian users   4096 May 16 10:50 ..
drwx------  14 marian users   4096 May  7 15:28 Anwendungsdaten
drwx------   2 marian users   4096 May  6 15:02 Cookies
drwx------   5 marian users   4096 Jun  1 11:52 Desktop
drwx------   2 marian users   4096 May  6 15:02 Druckumgebung
drwx------   6 marian users   4096 May  6 15:02 Eigene Dateien
drwx------   5 marian users   4096 May  6 15:02 Favoriten
drwx------   3 marian users   4096 May  6 15:02 His6
-rwx------   1 marian users 786432 Jun  6 13:15 NTUSER.DAT
-rwx------   1 marian users   1024 Jun  6 13:14 NTUSER.DAT.LOG
drwx------   8 marian users   4096 May  6 15:02 Netzwerkumgebung
drwx------   2 marian users   8192 May  6 15:02 Recent
drwx------   2 marian users   4096 May  6 15:02 SendTo
drwx------   3 marian users   4096 May  6 15:02 Startmen??
drwx------   2 marian users   4096 May  6 15:02 Vorlagen
-rw-------   1 marian users    282 Jun  6 13:14 ntuser.ini

Another odd thing, excpept for the fact that my profile is presented to
whoever loggs in next, is the fact that it remains on the workstation
(tested on Windows XP). I thought this could be changed by

   csc policy = disable

but it obviously doesn't help.

And for something else: When I log in as local Administrator after I
logged in as domain user "marian", then open the user profiles dialog of
the system settings, I don't see the profile KISD\marian (as it should
be named) but KISD\ab. Isn't this mysterious?

I start wondering if something in the name resolution is totally mixed
up, if SIDs are mingled up or whatever.

Marian

--

http://www.sendung.de/