[Samba] Broken Samba in OS X. Any Alternatives?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jun 6 06:12:34 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 04:00:55PM +1000, Geoff Scott wrote:

> But on the Postfix list and anywhere else that Apple seems to use FOSS, the
> code from the upstream never seems to compile cleanly on Mac OS X.  As a
> long time Mac user I always wait for the Apple update to fix the problem.
> Or you can go to opendarwin.org and see if they have any suggestions.

Yes, they don't seem to play well with others, do they. The right
way to do this is to cooperate in getting their changes back into
upstream code.

Unfortunately Apple changes their underlying system so much from
the original FreeBSD (adding Windows ACLs into the kernel and filesystem
for example) that almost certainly it's hard for us to accept such
alien patches.

> I just checked for binaries for you, fink's samba seems to be very old, &
> there is no Samba in the darwinports.  So it looks like you can either
> wrestle with the source from opendarwin:
> http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/tarballs/other/samba-92.9.tar.gz or wait
> for Apple

Or Apple can learn how to cooperate with Open Source/Free Software projects.
But given what they did to the Konqueror code I'm not holding my breath
for that.

Jeremy.