[Samba] Broken Samba in OS X. Any Alternatives?

Geoff Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Mon Jun 6 06:00:55 GMT 2005

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 11:51:44AM -0500, Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>> We all know that in Mac OS X 10.4, and in the upgrade 10.4.1, Apple
>> managed to break Samba. Now, I am at a great loss for remote
>> filesystem mounting. Not only is Samba broken, but NFS is
>> questionable (I can never seem to get rid of that "incorrect
>> username/ password" error and retain read/write abilities). Also,
>> I'm have trouble with netatalkd for Debian. Are there any other
>> filesystem sharing systems that could work with OS X? I mean until
>> Samba gets fixed.
>
> Is there a reason you can't just compile Samba source from samba.org
> on OS X to fix the problem ?
>
> Jeremy.

Jeremy,

I could have sworn I'd seen you commenting here on how much you disliked the
way that Apple had hacked the Samba code......

But on the Postfix list and anywhere else that Apple seems to use FOSS, the
code from the upstream never seems to compile cleanly on Mac OS X.  As a
long time Mac user I always wait for the Apple update to fix the problem.
Or you can go to opendarwin.org and see if they have any suggestions.

I just checked for binaries for you, fink's samba seems to be very old, &
there is no Samba in the darwinports.  So it looks like you can either
wrestle with the source from opendarwin:
http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/tarballs/other/samba-92.9.tar.gz or wait
for Apple

Regards Geoff Scott