[Samba] Roaming Profile Mix-Up Between Users

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Jun 3 11:39:01 GMT 2005

Marian Steinbach schrieb:

> Hi!
>
> We are having some trouble after migrating from an NT4 domain
> controller to Samba 3:
>
> When there is no local copy of any profile on a workstation, a user
> can log in and his profile is copied from the server.
>
> When a second user logs in to the same workstation after the first one
> logged out, he sees the profile of the first one. That is, he actually
> used it. His profile isn't even read from the server.
>
> What could be the reason for this?
>
> We have both WinXP and Win2000 workstations. Users where able to use
> their roaming profile on both systems back when we used the NT PDC and
> we would like them to so with the Samba PDC.
>
> We hold user data in an LDAP backend.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Marian

Hi,
roaming Profiles in a mixed setup of win xp and 2000 server will get you
in failures ,dont do this ( or mess with profile bugs ).
Try to upgrade all clients to xp with a nearly equal software install,
and patch level.
( this is a windows issue not related to samba anyway )
Behavior of profiles is very different in win versions, you can control
that by group policies or/and adm files
and poledit ( not really related to samba )
Your described bug seems to me that you havent include the right
parameters in your profile shares.
I recommend to read the samba faqs about profiles and read technet for
using roaming profiles with adms etc.
There is no Problem having the right things in the right place using
roaming profiles with win clients
but its sometimes heavy to setup , but as i said before this is not
really samba related
here is an example profile share

[profiles]
   path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
   vfs objects =  vscan-clamav, extd_audit
   read only = no
   create mask = 0755
   directory mask = 0755
   browseable = No
   guest ok = Yes
   profile acls = yes
   csc policy = disable
   force user = %U
   hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/
   locking = No
   oplocks = False
   level2 oplocks = False
   valid users = %U, @"Domain Admins"