[Samba] Crashing Suse 9.2 box - Samba prime suspect

Julian Opificius julianop at barnlea.com
Thu Jun 2 20:42:05 GMT 2005

I'm running Suse 9.2, up to date via Yast, samba 3.0.9-2.3, openssh
3.9p1-3.2.

I had two hard crashes on my Suse 9.2 server in the last four days since
I mounted two Windows server shares to the Linux box. Prior to that,
machine has been stable for several months. Primary use is cvs server
with ssh tunnelling pserver from PuTTY.

Crash 1:
I connected in from home using WSFTP Pro 9.01 in FTP/SSH mode to
download a Windows directory tree mounted to the Suse server via smbmount.

After transfer was successfully completed, Linux went down hard as I
tried to start another transfer.

I repeated process using direct a LAN connection with the same result.

The "messages" log shows :
May 29 01:27:40 engsrv sshd[13206]: Accepted publickey for <my name
deleted> from <my IP deleted> port 12690 ssh2
May 29 01:27:40 engsrv pure-ftpd: (?@localhost) [INFO] New connection
from local
host
May 29 01:27:40 engsrv pure-ftpd: (?@localhost) [INFO] Logout.
May 29 01:27:41 engsrv sshd[13209]: subsystem request for sftp
May 29 11:50:29 engsrv syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

text in <> is my comment.

I deduce from the timestamps that the "subsystem request for sftp" line
is the last thing written before the crash.

Crash 2:
User using ssh shell on local lan does a "find", and the server crashes.

I see in the messages logfile a string of errors like this :
Jun  2 07:50:19 engsrv kernel: smb_proc_readdir_long: dirent pointer
outside buffer! c084bba3  7923 at c084000a

followed by a restart entry.

As these two error events both relate to samba, I thought this would be
a place to ask for help. Can anyone offer any clues or suggestions?

Cheers,

julian.