[Samba] printing totally broken

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Thu Jun 2 19:22:45 GMT 2005

Had a similar, if not identical problem on our network too. Wasn't so much a
problem with samba though.

Turned out to be a resolution issue between CUPS and any network print
servers (mostly built-in or external HP Jet Direct Units). Seems CUPS wants
a hostname to resolve one way or another to an IP address, we did manage to
fix the problem relatively easily at that.

We simply gave each of the printer servers on the network a legit hostname
and associated reverse dns entry as well and the delay pretty much
disappeared. Seems the HP units in particular (by default too) have various
protocols enabled, and reply using their own 'default' hostnames on the
network ... If no actual mapping for this hostname exists, then huge
communication delays occur between cups and the jet directs, which in turn
seemed to delay samba from requests to/from the queue... Like I said though,
simple DNS records did solve it - may or may not be the same for yourself,
but worth looking at nonetheless.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com