[Samba] more on ailing printer system

Chuck Theobald chuckt at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Jun 2 17:22:35 GMT 2005

The Unix print spools are cni-hp-8150 and the like, letters, numbers, and
dashes.  The printcap file is /etc/printers.conf:

lauterbur{75}# more /etc/printers.conf
#
#       If you hand edit this file, comments and structure may change.
#       The preferred method of modifying this file is through the use of
#       lpset(1M)
#
cni-hp-8150:\
         :bsdaddr=lauterbur,cni-hp-8150,Solaris:\
         :description=HP 8150 in the MRI Control Room:

cni-hp-2200:\
         :bsdaddr=lauterbur,cni-hp-2200,Solaris:\
         :description=HP 2200 in the Image Analysis Room:

cni-oki-c7400:\
         :bsdaddr=lauterbur,cni-oki-c7400,Solaris:\
         :description=Oki Color Printer:
cni-hp-4500:\
         :bsdaddr=lauterbur,cni-hp-4500,Solaris:\
         :description=HP 4500 in the MR Control Room:

lauterbur{76}#

I think the fancy names presented by Samba come from the actual driver
files, perhaps some .inf file.  Adding sections to smb.conf for each
printer did not improve the situation, I still have clients who can, after
waiting minutes, obtain a Properties dialog for some printers, but not
others.  Other clients go off forever, permitting me to restart
explorer.exe if I need to get rid of those windows.

For now, I am turning off everything related to printing in Samba - the
users are beginning to contemplate what it would be like to print their
documents again - and going with locally installed printers.  Installing
drivers on each of 20 workstations beats the headache I have now.

Cheers,
Chuck

At 06:09 AM 6/2/2005, Paul Gienger wrote:
> > [2005/06/01 17:15:17, 3] smbd/service.c:find_service(164)
> >    checking whether HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 6 is a valid printer
> > name...
> > [2005/06/01 17:15:17, 3] smbd/service.c:find_service(174)
> >    HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 6 is not a valid printer name
> > [2005/06/01 17:15:17, 3] smbd/service.c:find_service(211)
> >    find_service() failed to find service HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 6
> > [2005/06/01 17:15:17, 10] printing/nt_printing.c:get_a_printer(4095)
> >    get_a_printer: [printers] level 2
>
>What is the name of your printer spool on the unix side?  Perhaps something
>without spaces?  What would happen if you renamed your printer to not have
>spaces, like hp4500?  I don't know if it applies currently but there are
>some references on the web to the 2.2 series that cannot handle spaces in
>printer names.

Chuck Theobald
System Administrator
The Robert and Beverly Lewis Center for Neuroimaging
University of Oregon
P: 541-346-0343
F: 541-346-0345