[Samba] MultiHomed public/private Problem

M. D. Parker parkerm at ga.com
Wed Jun 1 21:57:37 GMT 2005

I have a system that is multi-homed on one "private" network and one "public" network.

My configuration file extract has the following commands:

.
.
.
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = eth0 eth1 lo		;; eth0=private - eth1=public
.
.
.
Our network has a single WINS server and records for the host BOTH the private and public
addresses.  For several hundred computers in our network this seems to cause no problem,
however has affected one computer which gets the private (i.e. 192.168) address instead
of the public address.  Changing the interfaces order does NOT help and infact causes
a problem.  Mapping via DNS works ok (i.e. \\fqd.sss.com\share).

Samba needs to work on the private interface as well as the public interface.  One person
in our tech group basically feels that the existence of the private information on the
WINS server is the real problem and is basically demanding that the private IP address
be removed (or not communicated) to the WINS server.

Any ideas if it is possible to inhibit the broadcast of the private IP address but still
have samba functional on the private network?

Is this a bug in the samba code somehow for the one computer that is not working the same as the others?

Thanks

M. D. Parker
Systems Administrator
General Atomics / Electromagnetic Systems
+1 858 455 2877
mike.parker at ga.com