[Samba] Re: Two Sambas, but the new version is not activ

paul kölle paul at subsignal.org
Wed Jun 1 18:12:30 GMT 2005

Andreas Bauer wrote:
> Paul kölle schrieb:
>
>>How did you start the daemon? You'll have two smbd executables if you
>
> I take the daemon of the new one, samba 3.0.14a...:
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd start
> /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd start
funny, I always thought they were binaries, not initscripts...

> If I start testparm, he is testing always the samba 3.0.7.. version, not the
> started new one?
> If I start testparm -V in the directory of the samba 3.0.14a, it comes samba
> version 3.0.7...?
has been answered..

About your Yast issues. It has been said that rpm has no idea about what
you installed manually. You may search for newer versions somewhere on
the net but be prepared for trouble. Many applications link against
samba libs in some way and they may break with a new version suse has
not tested. The simple truth is: If you got suse, stick with what you
got, or build independent stuff elsewere and leave the systems version
in place.

> And another problem:
> If I want to create an ldapdmin account:
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -w <password>
> I get an errormessage:
> "permission denied"
use: strace -eopen smbpasswd to look what fails

good luck
 Paul