[Samba] Samba and Windows ACL Issue

Ross McInnes sysrm at stvincent.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 14:43:19 GMT 2005

Hi all again.

Thanks for the replies etc but the issue isnt actually an ACL one. (of
sorts) I can change permissions on the users/group already assigned to the
directory/file, i.e if its already owned by Administrator and Domain Admins,
but I cannot replace them. i.e as Administrator I cannot remove the user
administrator and put in ross instead, which is what I need to do. Or even
add ross to it.

Ive tried doing the net -S Server -UAdministrator rpc rights grant
'DEV-DOMAIN\Administrator' SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege to no avail.

Is this a support function? As john had pointed out on a *nix system root
can do anything.

To prove this, on my current production system I logged on to a share as
root, I could change permissions etc nps. This system however uses standard
passwd/smbpasswd and not the AD im trying to implement.

Any more thoughts or sugestions gratefully received, else it may be that I
have to look at a pure windows environment :/

Cheers

Ross