[Samba] Difference between smbclient&smbmount

Baptiste Mathus bmathus at free.fr
Wed Jun 1 13:19:30 GMT 2005

Hi there,

We're currently having problems mounting share from a windows server 2003
machine.
The thing that I find surprising is about smbclient : in fact, I'm allowed to
browse the share with the command smbclient :

# smbclient //adoc/pastel -U mathus%9g8e
Domain=[MIPIH] OS=[Windows Server 2003 3790] Server=[Windows Server 2003 5.2]
smb: \>

And when I try to mount this share with smbmount, here's what I get :

p-emapb:/# smbmount //adoc/pastel /adoc/ -o username=mathus,password=9g8e81ae
cli_negprot: SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it.
4000: protocol negotiation failed
SMB connection failed

Question : Isn't it the same underlying lib that smbclient and smbmount are
using ? How about the fact that I can access the share with only one of the
command ?

Thanks a lot.
Baptiste

--