[Samba] PAM problem on SLES9

Kevin B kevin1a at varlog.net
Sun Jul 31 19:47:54 GMT 2005

Hello,

I was setting up Samba 3.0.14 PDC on SLES9, migrating from NT4.
I had all kinds of problems after successfull migration of user accounts
that I was thinking were PAM related on the SLES9 box.
The howto has the PAM setup for SLES9:
http://us5.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#sbehap-PAM-NSS

'strings'shows pam_unix2.so is ldap aware but I tried both ways
described. Neither worked for me.

Since I was never able to succeed with SLES9, I setup a Centos4.1 box with
Samba 3.0.10, migrated the users, Joined the domain with XP Pro,
Logged in as any user, logon scripts, roaming profiles etc all work
without any single error during my setup from scratch.
Centos [RHEL based] has 'authconfig' to setup PAM to use LDAP.
IIRC Yast doesn't have a utility to setup PAM.

Can anyone that has SLES9 working share the details of the setup
with me?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin B