[Samba] Automatically creating home directories?

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Fri Jul 29 16:49:42 GMT 2005

Hello to all.

I want to use winbind to automatically create email accounts.  I've added
several linux boxes to our win2k3 AD and working pretty well (more in a new
post about this).  When I create a new user on the win2k3 box, users can
access various shares on the linux boxes, as it should be.  I also have a
sendmail server sitting in a DMZ.  I have to create the email user account on
this box separately.  I'd like to eliminate this step.

I've added 3.0.14a to the email server, and fired up winbind.  It works like a
charm!  But ... I still need to create user home directories so that mail
gets deilvered to thier mailboxes.  I know there's a samba directive as
follows:  "template homedir = home/%D/%U".  Should this create user home
directories?  If not, is there a way to do this automatically, and if so,
how.

As always, many thanks.

Dimitri