[Samba] profiles reverting from local to roaming

jonathan.wilson jonathan.wilson at odl.com
Fri Jul 29 15:04:49 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have a shiny new RHES4 box running Samba 3.0.10-1.4E (as included in the Red Hat distribution) which is set up as a domain controller, using openLDAP and the IdealX scripts. User PCs are Windows 2000 and XP.

We would like to avoid roaming profiles altogether, so we set "logon path =" and "logon home =" (with no argument to the right of the equals sign) in smb.conf. We also went around to user Windows PCs and, from the System control panel, changed profiles from "roaming" to "local".

However, when the user logs out and back in, the profile changes back to roaming, with ugly consequences on our WAN.

I do have a "profiles" share defined, and when the user is set for roaming profiles it does work correctly, but I need not to do roaming profiles at all.

Thanks,
Jonathan Wilson