[Samba] problems with Windows XP clients becoming local master?

Vickie L. Kidder vlkidder at TABASCO.com
Fri Jul 29 13:57:07 GMT 2005

You can prevent Windows XP clients from trying to become the master
browser by changing this registry setting.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > Browser >
Parameters MaintainServerList
Default value is "Auto".   Change value to "No" and reboot machine.

"daryn" <daryn at steelsword.org.uk>
Sent by: samba-bounces+vlkidder=tabasco.com at lists.samba.org
07/29/2005 08:36 AM

samba at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
[Samba] problems with Windows XP clients becoming local master?

Hi there. First time posting to this but I'm getting desperate so
apologies
for any netiquette faux pas...

I'm running a Suse box with Samba on it, with Windows XP SP2 clients
viewing
it in a workgroup. Some pc's are having timeouts when attempting to view a

network share though. In the logs, sometimes at the same time as the
timeouts, this appears:

[2005/07/28 13:19:08, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_local_master_announce(311)
  process_local_master_announce: Server PCSTEVE at IP 192.168.0.204 is
announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP and we

think we are master. Forcing election.
[2005/07/28 13:19:08, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success
(149)
  *****

  Samba name server WORKGROUPSHARE has stopped being a local master
browser
for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.10

  *****
[2005/07/28 13:19:26, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2
(396)
  *****

  Samba name server WORKGROUPSHARE is now a local master browser for
workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.10

  *****

And thus it carries on until someone else on the network tries to take
over.
On the net, there are loads of people querying this but mostly either
samba v
samba conflicts (solved by making one master and one not) or other windows

conflicts (solved by raising the os level). The os level of this server is

already at 65 when an XP client is apparently at 16. At no point should
samba
give up (even for a second, as I understand it) it's master browser rights
an XP client. The smb.conf is listed below in part. Can anyone PLEASE shed

light on this since this is driving me nuts and users are complaining of
slow
access to files on the WORKGROUPSHARE samba box's share.

Thanks very much

Steve

smb.conf (in part) follows:

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUPSHARE
        netbios name = WORKGROUPSHARE
        server string = PAH Network Share
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1, eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = SHARE
        map to guest = Bad User
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -
d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes