[Samba] using pam_winbind to authenticate against AD/krb

Greg Albrecht gba at undef.net
Thu Jul 28 16:58:21 GMT 2005

hey all,
after following the directions in the
"FreeBSD Active Directory Domain Member Mini-HOWTO"
http://web.irtnog.org/howtos/freebsd/winbind

i am able to get my machine to the point where i can query users with
'wbinfo':

  $ wbinfo -u|grep galbrecht
  galbrecht

i am unable, however, to login to my machine using any service, telnet
for example:

  $ telnet -K localhost
  Connected to localhost
  FreeBSD/i386 (albany.undef.net) (ttyp7)
  login: galbrecht
  Password: ******
  login:

my /var/log/messages shows:
  ... albany pam_winbind[15753]: user 'galbrecht' granted access
  ... albany login[15753]: pam_acct_mgmt(): error in service module

if i attempt to login with a username that does not exist, in either ad
or local pwd, /var/log/messages shows:
  ... albany pam_winbind[15825]: request failed: No such user, PAM error
was 13, NT error was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
  ... albany pam_winbind[15825]: user `greg' not found

i've attempted to enable debugging with pam_winbind in my
/etc/pam.d/system configuration, which doesn't seem to have an effect,
but i've done a -d10 dump, if that would be useful to anyone.

save for my domain, my configuration matches that of the webpage sited
above.

any ideas?

-g

--