[Samba] Programatically Modifying Users

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Thu Jul 28 12:35:49 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have been lurking here on and off for a while and have recently
returned after being off-list for a few months, I've searched the MARC
list archives and can't see any useful information for my situation.

Basically, I have a system that calls out to the samba command line
utilities pdbedit/smbpasswd etc to modify user account information.

This is okay, but very slow and tedious for the amount of users I need
to modify so I want to directly access the same functionality that the
command line tools do.

So, I have had a look at the source of pdbedit and can see how it
generally works, I do however have a few questions that I'm sure the
people on this list will be much more able to answer:

- Is there a set of documentation around for the API? I can't seem to
find any on the samba site, the developer docs talk about the underlying
protocols and provide starting points for that but I can't seem to find
API docs.

- Is there an existing set of Java JNI wrappers for this kind of
functionality (I know, I'm reaching now...)

- If I just want to access the SAM database functionality which bits of
Samba will i need to link against (of course, this will be easy to find
out from trial-and-error)

Thanks in advance,