[Samba] missing domain

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Thu Jul 28 07:15:31 GMT 2005

Ryan Verner wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 09:55 +1000, ashley maher wrote:
>

>>I have a samba 3 install with 14 new xp pro clients.
>>
>>13 of these I was able to join to the domain without any problems. (ie
>>create machine accounts)
>>
>>The 14th required a warranty repair and I went to put it onto the domain
>>recently (several weeks intervening).
>>

>Tried removing the machine account from the Samba server, changing the
>XP client's computer name to something else, etc?

I had a similar problem yesterday with a Windows XP Pro x64 (64-bit,
based on Server 2003 kernel, I think) system. It seemed to be looking
for a listing of the domain controller in DNS (even though my Samba
server is performing WINS and TCP/IP on the workstation specified the
Samba server as a WINS server), for which bind on my Linux/Samba server
does not have the Active-Directory style entries that would include DC
entries. So with only one half-tested example to go by, it seems that
the latest incarnations of Windows ignore WINS and only care about
AD-integrated DNS, at least when trying to join a domain. It's nice of
Microsoft to go toward standards; unfortunately they also "embrace,
extend, extinguish." The further they go, the more DNS looks like WINS.
(How do you create AD-style entries in bind? A Google search might be in
order, I haven't looked.)

As it turns out, the plotter I needed to connect to didn't have 64-bit
drivers, so I ended up blowing it away and reinstalling XP Pro SP2
(32-bit) on the box. Will connect it in tomorrow and see if it sees the
domain. If it doesn't, I'm not too concerned, as we've been working as a
workgroup instead of a domain; being a small shop with 5 PCs it's not a
big deal.

--Jonathan Johnson