[Samba] Printer Sharing Issue - Printer Error From Windows 2000

L. Mark Stone lmstone at rnome.com
Thu Jul 28 01:22:31 GMT 2005

I am getting an error printing to a newly installed printer from Windows
2000.  I appreciate this may not be a Samba problem, but I thought this
would be the best place to start.

I installed an Epson Stylus Photo R300 on a SuSE Pro 9.2 system running
Samba 3.0.14a, installed from the SuSE-supplied unofficial rpms.

A Windows 2000 virtual machine runs in a VMware Workstation 5 vm, and
shares documents with this Linux host and prints via Samba.  Document
sharing works perfectly, and printing, when there was an Epson C84
attached, worked fine also.  (Alas, the C84 is literally worn out...)

I installed the R300 in Windows the same way I installed the C84: I used
the Adobe winsteng.exe Postscript printer installer, and pointed it to
the ppd file generated by SuSE for the R300.

The R300 does actually print fine from Windows, but at the end of each
print job it spits out a blank sheet of paper, and then another sheet
of paper with the following on it:

ERROR: rangecheck
OFFENDING COMMAND: .installpagedevice

Stack:

-null-
-dictionary-
-savelevel-

This makes it a bit of pain to print, say, multiple checks from
QuickBooks as QuickBooks creates each check as a separate print job.

The only thing different on the SuSE side between the C84 setup and the
R300 setup is the Linux printer driver.  For the C84 I used the
CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.7 driver.  That equivalent driver for the R300
resulted in nothing being printed at all, so I am using instead the
Foomatic/Gimp-Print driver.  (The R300 prints totally fine from Linux,
btw.)

To test, I created another printer in Windows using using winsteng.exe,
but this time I let it use the Adobe provided generic Postscript ppd
file.  I get the same error printing from Windows as well.

I also tried the Epson Kowa drivers; these worked like the CUPS
driver--not at all.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Any suggestions for narrowing this down?

Thanks!
Mark

A Message From...  L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business."

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com