[Samba] Help! Problem with NT PDC on 3.0.14a

Josh Lindenmuth jlindenmuth at paytimepayroll.com
Wed Jul 27 15:54:40 GMT 2005

Hello,

We are trying to add a 2nd samba server to our domain.  We are using an NT
4.0 PDC and connecting to the PDC using winbind.  Our network is relatively
small - 25 computers.  We have no Active Directory servers, no WINS servers,
and the existing samba server running 3.0.11 has been running for 18 months
with no issues.

We are completely stuck trying to add a second server.  We've configured the
2nd server EXACTLY the same as the first.  It's on the same subnet, we're
using the same version of Linux (RHES3), and are using the same smb.conf
file (except for the 'netbios name' parameter).  The only difference that we
can find is the samba version (3.0.14a vs. 3.0.11).

Here's the problem:  when we try to join the domain, we receive an 'Unable
to find a suitable server' error and 'utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(191)

  ads_connect: No such file or directory'.  This appears to be an Active
Directory error, which is confusing since we aren't using Active Directory.
If we set the 'wins server' parameter to our PDC, wbinfo -u will correctly
show all the user names and passwords, but getent passwd won't list our
Domain users.

Any thoughts for how we can proceed?  We're pretty frustrated, and thinking
about just switching the 2nd server to a windows box since this has already
taken a few days of time.  FYI:  our smb.conf is listed below

Thanks,

Josh Lindenmuth

[global]

        # seperate domain and username (e.g. domain+username)

        winbind separator = +

        # valid domain users range

        idmap uid = 10000-20000

        # valid domain group range

        idmap gid = 10000-20000

        # allow enumeration of winbind users and groups

        winbind enum users = yes

        winbind enum groups = yes

        # GENERAL SAMBA SETTINGS

        workgroup = PAYTIME1

        dns proxy = no

        log level = 1

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

        netbios name = LINUX2

        load printers = yes

        server string = Samba App Server

        password server = *

        os level = 20

        encrypt passwords = yes

        printcap name = /etc/printcap

        security = domain

        max log size = 50

        browsable = yes

        #JAL new DOS mode settings

        dos filemode = yes

        dos filetimes = yes

        dos filetime resolution = yes

        directory mask = 0775

        create mask = 0777

        force create mode = 0

        mangled names = yes

        mangle prefix = 6

        mangling method = hash2

        # disable opportunistic locking - to fix samba issues

        oplocks = no

        level2 oplocks = no

[share]

        comment = Shared Drive