[Samba] Samba and Windows ACL Issue

Pierre Dehaen pi at drever.be
Wed Jul 27 10:09:14 GMT 2005

On 3 Jun 2005 at 10:19, Ross McInnes wrote:

> Heh. Well I see the Administrator and Domain Admins and Everyone bits
>
> Nothing about adding the user ross to it. Also when I try and add another
> person, it still comes up access denied :/

Hi Ross, Tony and others,

I come back on this to see if you found a way to add on a file specific
permissions for an additional user. I still can't from W2K/XP but well from
WNT.

At the beginning (years ago on Samba <= 2.2.5) it worked with W2K too but,
probably (?) since a SP or patch was applied, it stopped working. An upgrade
to Samba 3.0.10 (compiled by sunfreeware.com) did not help. I patched (see
<http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-April/104062.html>) and
compiled 3.0.14a myself and it still doesn't work. There is no obvious error
message in the log, I've read documents for days, tried so many options...
I'm really lost now.

Using smbcacls (samba 2.2.12 from another host or 3.0.14a from the
localhost) I can view the permissions on a file, and I can add a user with
permissions to the list, the ACLs get updated.

>From a W2K or WNT, using cacls I can display the permissions, although I
do not see the user names but rather <Account Domain not found>. Updating
the permissions does not work:
   <C:\ cacls file /G username:R
   No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

>From the explorer of Windows (and additional setup info) see my previous
message: <http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-June/107543.html>

Note that from the explorer of W2K/XP I can change *existing* permissions
of users but I cannot add a user to the list. So my only last (weird) possibility
is to setup default ACLs on directories for all possible users and to add
missing users to existing files with setfacl !!!

Thanks
Pierre