[Samba] Connection Problems with Windows Server 2003

Seth Shacter seth at cs.usask.ca
Tue Jul 26 21:04:50 GMT 2005

Hi All!

            I noticed that a couple of people were having trouble connecting
to samba v3 shares from Windows Server 2003 boxes.  I ran into this problem
myself and found a solution that worked for every one of my differing
servers.  At first I thought that the issue was with the samba server as the
Windows boxes connected just fine to shares hosted on a samba v2 server but
then mysteriously stopped working after the upgrade to v3.  Turns out,
though, that all I had to do was change one Windows group policy.

            This is a machine policy and can be set locally on the server in
question or you can create a custom GPO on your domain controller and simply
drop all of your servers into it.  This change requires a reboot in order to
take effect.  Here are the clicks.

1.	Click Start -> Run
2.	Type "gpedit.msc" and hit Enter
3.	Expand Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows
Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options
4.	Select Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
5.	Define this policy with the value "Send LM & NTLM responses"
6.	Close all windows and restart the machine

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me.

L8r Sk8rs :-)

SS