[Samba] "missing" directories

Bill Measday linux_test at measday.com
Tue Jul 26 09:14:51 GMT 2005

Running Samba 3.0.14a under kernal 2.6.11-1.1369 (Fedora core 4)

I'm trying to set up a file server for use with XP network.  I have an
interesting problem that came to light when I had difficulty connecting
from
Windows.

I can set up a shared directory exactly as detailed in the
troubleshooting
guide (setting up /tmp as tmp) and can connect from my account on the
server.

If I try to set up a share under /home I get
"NT_STATUS_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED".  Same if I try and set up a share to
directory called /storage which is a mount point for a spare drive.  It
isn't a typo in smb.conf, because copying the working /tmp text and
simply
changing the target directory doesn't work either.

Interestingly (and here's where things get wierd), if I set "/" to be a
samba share and connect from my account, listing the files in the drive
omits /home and /storage.  If I create a new directory as root in "/" I
can
successfully set it up in samba.

There seems to be no issue with permissions (I tried setting /storage
777).  All directories are owned by root from group root.

I assume something trivial is the cause but am at a loss.

Rgds

Bill